A1 - Electrical Safety


With national survey data of over 7,000 houses showing that only 10 per cent of houses have safe electrical systems, electrocution has to be considered a serious risk to residents. The reason for failure could be as simple as one faulty light switch or one faulty power point, or could be an extreme combination of mice severed cabling, no earth connection of the house, faulty safety switches giving no earth leakage protection and exposed electrical cables.

A less obvious risk has emerged with the increased use of photo voltaic (PV or solar energy panels) in remote, rural and urban areas. Clear warnings in switchboards about the power sources available, and how to isolate them, will reduce chances of electrocution.